EMERGENCY FAMILY PREPAREDNESS
The possibility of detention or deportation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement without any notice is a very real threat to undocumented parents with US-born children. The fear among U.S. born elementary school children that their parents may not be there when they return home from school results in deep-seated anxiety in these children, a lack of focus, and an inability to learn in school. The IAC supports these children by guiding their parents in creating a workable plan in case of detention or deportation. Planning includes:
- Understanding individual legal rights in case of an interaction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Completing complex legal documents that authorize guardianship of children or management of finances in the event a parent or care provider is suddenly detained
The reality of possible deportation is so threatening to these families the IAC uses multiple tracks to disseminate information to as many people as possible, including:
- Information sessions held in multiple languages at the Center and in New Bedford schools
- Multi-lingual “Know Your Rights” cards handed out in immigrant neighborhoods and schools
- Ethnic media widespread outreach to the hard-to-reach immigrant community
LEARN MORE ABOUT US THROUGH OUR NEWS & UPDATES
By: Kiernan Dunlop, SouthCoastToday.com
NEW BEDFORD – Vineeta Singh refers to the yoga studio she opened in April of last year as her baby.
“I put everything I had into this business,” said Singh, who immigrated to the United States two and a half years ago from Delhi, India.
By Kerri Tallman SouthCoastToday.com
“Leaders say counting immigrants could make big difference in federal funds city receives.”
The survey is taken every 10 years to determine the country’s population. Mayor Jon Michell and Secretary of State William F. Galvin visited the Immigrants’ Assistance Center (IAC) in the South End Monday to talk about the importance of all New Bedford residents participating in it.
Our Case Managers
Our case managers are multi-lingual, speaking five languages, and multicultural, able to fully understand the subtleties of culturally-based dreams and fears.