EMERGENCY FAMILY PREPAREDNESS
The possibility of detention or deportation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement without any notice is a very real threat to undocumented parents with US-born children. The fear among U.S. born elementary school children that their parents may not be there when they return home from school results in deep-seated anxiety in these children, a lack of focus, and an inability to learn in school. The IAC supports these children by guiding their parents in creating a workable plan in case of detention or deportation. Planning includes:
- Understanding individual legal rights in case of an interaction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Completing complex legal documents that authorize guardianship of children or management of finances in the event a parent or care provider is suddenly detained
The reality of possible deportation is so threatening to these families the IAC uses multiple tracks to disseminate information to as many people as possible, including:
- Information sessions held in multiple languages at the Center and in New Bedford schools
- Multi-lingual “Know Your Rights” cards handed out in immigrant neighborhoods and schools
- Ethnic media widespread outreach to the hard-to-reach immigrant community
LEARN MORE ABOUT US THROUGH OUR NEWS & UPDATES
Bridging the coronavirus divide: Immigrants’ Assistance Center to provide Chromebooks, supplies to ELL students
By Aimee Chiavaroli -- Posted Apr 27, 2020 at 6:50 PM $15K grant from Sen. Mark Montigny’s Children’s Equality and Empowerment Fund will allow remote learning NEW BEDFORD — Helena DaSilva Hughes, executive director of the Immigrants’ Assistance Center, remembers well...
By Lurdes C. da Silva / O Jornal editor --- Posted Apr 16, 2020 at 3:43 PM NEW BEDFORD – The lack of technology at home has been a big challenge for some local immigrant families with school aged children, says Helena Hughes, the executive director of the Immigrants’...
Our Case Managers
Our case managers are multi-lingual, speaking five languages, and multicultural, able to fully understand the subtleties of culturally-based dreams and fears.