EMERGENCY FAMILY PREPAREDNESS
The possibility of detention or deportation by Immigration and Customs Enforcement without any notice is a very real threat to undocumented parents with US-born children. The fear among U.S. born elementary school children that their parents may not be there when they return home from school results in deep-seated anxiety in these children, a lack of focus, and an inability to learn in school. The IAC supports these children by guiding their parents in creating a workable plan in case of detention or deportation. Planning includes:
- Understanding individual legal rights in case of an interaction with Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Completing complex legal documents that authorize guardianship of children or management of finances in the event a parent or care provider is suddenly detained
The reality of possible deportation is so threatening to these families the IAC uses multiple tracks to disseminate information to as many people as possible, including:
- Information sessions held in multiple languages at the Center and in New Bedford schools
- Multi-lingual “Know Your Rights” cards handed out in immigrant neighborhoods and schools
- Ethnic media widespread outreach to the hard-to-reach immigrant community
LEARN MORE ABOUT US THROUGH OUR NEWS & UPDATES
We have made the difficult decision to postpone our April 16 Spring Fundraiser, and temporarily suspend in-person services during the Massachusetts state of emergency. Please read our full article on available phone and emergency services, as well as how you can help.
NEW BEDFORD – The Immigrants’ Assistance Center will soon be moving to a larger and more efficient space to help its continued growth, announced its executive director at the center’s summer fundraiser held Aug. 8 at the Museum of Madeiran Heritage in New Bedford…
By Lurdes C. da Silva / O Jornal / Posted Aug 16, 2019 at 3:26 PM online
Our Case Managers
Our case managers are multi-lingual, speaking five languages, and multicultural, able to fully understand the subtleties of culturally-based dreams and fears.